Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Recipe Box

Linda Love my sweet sister

The Recipe Box

Linda Love Schmitto Henderson Zambrano passed from life on earth to the eternal life with Jesus Christ on January 7th, 2009. She was my only sister and I miss her dearly. Five years before her passing I would not have said that we were really close because we were so different and she did not like to talk about Jesus with me.

She had accepted Jesus at “Crane Christian Church” shortly after we started attending there as children but both she and my brother for some reason did not continue the pace of walking with Jesus that I did after I left Crane. Even though I did back slide several times Jesus seemed to bring me back even closer to Him each time.

Shortly after I married my second husband in 1977 I made a “recipe box” as a gift for my sister for her birthday. This was a wooden box that would hold several hundred 5 x6 index cards or paper with recipes on them. I cut and pasted recipes and photos of fruit and vegetables and other food items on it and put a coat of clear varnish on it.

I requested that my nieces give this box back to me after my sister passed on. It took me about a month before I could even go through the recipes because the pain of her loss was still so new. Then I started reading the recipes which were from many of her friends and some family mostly my mother. After I viewed most all of the recipes I put the box on top of my refridgerator where it stayed for about 9 months.

In the fall of 2009 right before Thanksgiving I was thinking about what desert to take to my mother-in-laws for the meal. I pulled the box down and began to go through the recipes more slowly this time. The pain of the grief had subsided somewhat by now but was being a bit stirred by the holiday season. My sister had gotten sick just after Thanksgiving of the previous year and had never really recovered.

I started to notice that some of the recipes were written on different types of cards and papers such as “pay stubs”, “pharmacy IV solution charge card” (my sister was a nurse) and other types of papers. There was one sheet of notebook paper that had our names in columns and card game scores on the back.

The thoughts and memories that came through my mind were so bittersweet and I wept for a while just remembering what a wonderful person my sister was.

There was one recipe that I don’t believe she had prepared because it had coupon on it and the expiration date was just prior to the time she passed. So I decided to make this recipe in honor of my sweet sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment